You mean....it can be made without hamburger helper?
YES IT CAN!
This is my Grandma's recipe. It's not from the
old country or anything...my guess is that it came from the back of a soup can in the 50's, but either way, it's pretty darn good. Not
completely from scratch, but better than boxed, powdered stuff.
Here is what you will need:

--Beef!
--1 can Beef Consomme
--1 can Golden mushroom soup (for these soups, you usually have to look up at the very top
of the soup aisle...they're there, I promise.
--1 big bag of extra wide egg noodles
--1/2 of an onion
--1 12 oz carton of sour cream (or less if you prefer) I use reduced fat, cause that's how I roll
--1 tbsp butter...or maybe 2
--1 "dash" of ketchup
--1 "dash" or worchestershire sauce
--salt and pepper
As always, a MEAT and greet (haha! get it? No? Oh well, I tried)

I chose this pack of sirloin tip steaks, because they were the same price as the ever questionable
Stew meat. I mean....I need a better description of what I'm eating than
that. By choosing these however, I will have to cut the meat myself. GASP!
But first:

Put a glop of butter in your pan. Add a few smaller glops for good measure. Get this heating over medium.
Meanwhile....

Chop your half of an onion up. Big or small, however you like. I like the pieces kind of big.Save the other half for the Lima Beans we're going to make tomorrow or the next day.

Get those babies sauteing in your hot butter pan. And........

Cut your meat into cubes (if necessary). The meat in that container back there is going to be vacuum sealed because I realized I had enough for 2 batches. Stay away from the stew meat people....you get more for the money if you just cut it yourself.

In goes the meat...be sure to stir it around.

After a few minutes, it will start to look like THIS and you will pat yourself on the back for throwing in those few extra little glops of butter.
Now that your meat has browned, it's time to.....

Add your beef consomme.

Add your golden mushroom soup.

Add your dashes of Worchestershire and Ketchup and your salt and pepper. How much is a dash? I'm going to say more than a drop, but less than a glop. Maybe a tablespoon or a little less. It's probably a negligible amount, but Grandma taught me to do it, so I do it.

Stir all that up good and turn the heat to LOW. Let that simmer while you boil your egg noodles according to package directions. I'm not posting a picture of that because I think y'all can handle it and I'm ready for bed.

When the pasta is ready, remove the sauce from heat and stir in one small carton of sour cream. Don't freak out if you don't like sour cream. My husband won't touch the stuff, but he loves this dish. Feel free to use a little less....just to get your feet wet.

I know we love the tie-dye swirls, but it's probably best to stir them out until...

It looks like this!

Spoon that good stuff down over a pile of egg noodles...Sweet!

Serve with cabbage like the good little Irish girl you are!
It' so good, you might have sweet little babies pop up in your kitchen,

Like Hartley! He's not Irish, but I've seen him eat and I know he would be all over this Stroganoff!
Y'all enjoy!
Yum! That's looks great! My mom used to make that all the time. I don't know her recipe though, I'll have to ask her.
ReplyDeleteGreat recipe! Thanks for sharing (and making pictures during you was cooking ha ha ha, must be taugh) Love: Evi
ReplyDeleteOkay, YUM!! I'm going to have to try that! :) Thanks for the comment on my kitchen. I love your kitchen, especially the backsplash...so pretty! We don't have a Publix here or I would be trying that honey wheat bread. I am such a bread snob. I have to have very soft and delicious and that's hard to find! ;) Hope you have a wonderful Tuesday!
ReplyDeleteI love beef stroganoff!!! Man it's 10 o'clock at night and I can't do a thing about it!! HA!! Thanks for sharing, so yummy looking!
ReplyDeleteStroganoff is RUSSIAN, not Irish!!!
ReplyDelete